Do you want to learn how to scratch DJ?
Would you like to become a Turntablist but don’t know where to begin?
Learning to scratch takes the right combination of knowledge and deliberate practice. Whilst there is no shortcut to this process, what makes all the difference is having the scratch techniques and ways to practice them properly explained and broken down for you step by step.
Whether you have no idea how to begin scratching or if you’re struggling to make progress, I share what I’ve learned throughout the past 16 years during my 1000’s of hours of scratching.
I know how it feels to struggle to learn which is why I demystify the art and help you start scratching as simply as possible.
I believe that anyone can scratch, it just takes patience, dedication, and the right amount of focused learning.
That’s why I created this course.
- Emma Short-E
- Start Here - Overview & How to use this course
- A complete walk through of how to get the very most from this course.
- Module 1 – Equipment Needed
- A comprehensive overview of each piece of equipment needed, what it is, why you need it and how it is used in scratching. Simple but essential stuff!
- Module 2 – Equipment Set Up
- All the information, tips and tricks that you need to set up your equipment for the ultimate silky smooth scratching experience. It covers all the small things that make a BIG difference.
- Module 3 – Before you Start Scratching
- We’re almost ready to get on the tables and start cutting it up, but before we do that, it’s important to first consider a few final things.
- Module 4 – Scratch Techniques
- I break down each scratch technique slowly and thoroughly, to give you the very best chance of building a solid scratch foundation. The end of each tutorial contains a QnA where I perform the techniques slowly and then leave space for you to copy me and practice your skills.
- Module 5 – Scratch Combos
- Once you have learnt some of the basic scratch techniques, it’s time to start linking them together into “scratch combos”. I can’t wait to share my favourite combos that I perform in my QnA videos with you.
- Module 6 - QnA Practice
- Not got anyone to jam with? Now you do! Practice your scratching with me. Practice each scratch technique and combo with me.
- Module 7 – Scratch & Music Theory
- Learn how to let your scratching flow and become more musical in your expression.
- Module 8 - How To Practice - Beyond Techniques
- Strategies to help you practice well and make continuous progress. Remove frustration and blocks.
- What Next / Next Steps / Continuing Your Scratch Journey
- So you have fallen in love with scratching, I get it! I give you options for more advanced learning and support on your scratch journey.
PLUS Bonus Downloads Include:
- Ahhh & Fresh Samples - Classic scratch sounds you can start practicing with using Serato / Traktor / DVS.
- 10 Beats for Scratch Practice - Funky beats for you to practice scratch techniques and combos over.
- Speed Booster Training mp3 - Helps you Increase the speed at which you can perform scratch techniques.
Watch An Entire Sample Video Tutorial
Learn how to do the Forward Scratch today!
Each video is fully comprehensive and contains step-by-step instruction, broken down into manageable bite size chunks to make learning as simple and effective as possible.
Who Is This Course For?
Learn how to Scratch DJ is for you if:
- You are brand new to Scratch DJing.
- You have some experience scratching and want to take your cuts to the next level.
- You can already scratch and feel stuck in a rut and want some fresh inspiration to make progress.
Who Is This Course Not For?
This course is not for you if:
- You are unwilling to practice ;)
- You know all about scratching and don't need any help!
When you finish this course, you'll be able to do basic scratches, combos AND freestyle scratch over a beat.
Hi, I'm Emma Short-E!
I have been scratching since the year 2000, when I discovered I had a love for fr-fr-fresh scratching and funky hip hop.
After much time spent learning techniques and developing my flow (which wasn’t always easy), I now love to break things down for anyone who wants to improve their scratching or who might be struggling with the art.
I founded Studio Scratches in 2008, launched School of Scratch in 2014 and am dedicated to helping YOU become excellent at the art of scratching!
I have a passion for sharing knowledge and encouraging and inspiring others to achieve their dreams.
Frequently Asked Questions
"As a teacher, Short-E has the very rare quality of being both highly proficient as an artist, while also able to break down technique to its most rudimentary core.
Even the most inexperienced novice will find her step-by-step method, clarity and simplified focus very easy to follow.
Yet, amidst her fundamental descriptions one finds a treasure trove of absolutely essential information that would still be of great value to even the most seasoned DJ."
Suckertash - Canada 🇨🇦
Bonus video: Suckertash trading bars with Emma Short-E
"I love scratching and knew that I needed to learn the proper techniques to have direction and be great at it.
I find the lessons in School Of Scratch easy to understand because of the way DJ Short-E breaks down each of the techniques step by step and in a slow manner, so that whatever level you are at you won't get lost. It's a plus that there is a Q&A right after each video that helped me practice the technique that was just taught.
It is also in the school that I learned about "DELIBERATE PRACTICE". It kept me focused on learning! SoS stepped up my cuts to the next level!"
DJ Arthug - Philippines 🇵🇭
Bonus video: DJ Arthug scratching it up with Emma Short-E in Manila:
"Emma's videos manage to be crystal clear, yet all the detail is there.
Whenever I watch any of her videos, I'm left in no doubt about what I need to do or work on to get the technique down.
When I joined School Of Scratch, I thought I knew only a few basic techniques, I had a very wild style mainly due to my lack of techniques...
I was kind of able to express myself, but everything was messy and I had no idea about what I was doing or how to repeat my flows!
After a few months in the school, I managed to revise and learn new aspects of the few basic scratches I had and learn a great many other scratches and even combos!
I still have a lot of work left, but now my wildness has been tamed to some degree... My flow is still my own! - but now I know more about what I am doing and I can repeat my efforts, and I am even able to write it down in TTM (and be able to read it!)
It's not only about the scratching videos though. The best thing Emma has shown me, is how to practice!
I love the music theory videos as they show how to apply and create musical aspects like swing syncopation and Triplet timings. - I knew these things before (in music) - but Emma's videos very clearly brought these topics home to me within the language of scratch and now I can apply and create these things out of my own will, not just following off from the music or another DJ's flow."
Dan R aka Danerous Hands - UK 🇬🇧