Do you want to advance your scratching?
Are you ready to elevate your scratch skills beyond the basics and take it up a whole new level?
I've put together this course just for you.
It is designed to help you take your basic scratch skills and build on them to create advance techniques and musical flow.
In this course we will cover:
- Advanced Flare Techniques
- Scratches which help you develop and utilise advanced record hand control
- Swing Flares
- 3 different Autobahn Techniques
- Scratch Theory to help you break out of the repetitive scratching box.
I'm here to demystify and break down these scratches to make them as simple as possible to learn and give you the tools you need to practice and make progress.
- Emma Short-E
Watch An Entire Sample Video Tutorial
Learn how to do the Boomerang Scratch today!
Each video is fully comprehensive and contains step-by-step instruction, broken down into manageable bite size chunks to make learning as simple and effective as possible.
- A complete walk through of how to get the very most from this course.
- Scratch Techniques
- I break down each advanced scratch technique slowly and thoroughly, to give you the very best chance of learning these fun skills. The end of each tutorial contains a QnA where I perform the techniques slowly and then leave space for you to copy me and practice your skills.
- Scratch Combos
- In this section we use basic scratches to create some advanced combos that are super funky and fun. I can’t wait to share my favourite combos that I perform in my QnA videos with you.
- Scratch Theory
- Immerse yourself in advanced concepts to really take you musical expression to the next level.
- What Next / Next Steps / Continuing Your Scratch Journey
- So you have fallen in love with scratching, I get it! Options for even more advanced learning and support on your scratch journey.
StartSee Saws (17:46)
StartSwing Flare (20:30)
Start2 Click Chirp Flare (16:10)
StartJoe Cooley (26:36)
StartA6 Autobahn (19:47)
StartA9 Autobahn (21:03)
StartSlow Autobahn (25:52)
StartA8 Autobahn Minus 5th Sound (14:55)
StartSwing Flare > Dices > Release (12:46)
StartSwingy Boomerang (12:21)
StartReverse Crab Tear Release (13:08)
StartCrab > Dice > Release > Drag > Translice (20:04)
Start3 Click Flare Twist: Twiddle + Extra Click (12:29)
StartAutobahn Combo (15:40)
StartSwitch Tazer Combo (9:53)
Who Is This Course For?
This Advanced Scratch DJ Course is for you if:
- You can comfortably do the foundational level scratches (Baby, Forward, Reverse, Stab, Transformer, Chirp, Flares, Crab, Slice, Tear, Dice, 2 Click Flare, Drags)
- You have some experience scratching and want to take your cuts to the next level.
- You can already scratch and feel stuck in a rut and want some fresh inspiration to make progress.
Who Is This Course Not For?
This course is not for you if:
- You are brand new to Scratch DJing.
- You are unwilling to practice ;)
- You know all about scratching and don't need any help!
When you finish this course, you'll be able to do advanced scratches, combos AND understand how to develop your scratch flow.
Hi, I'm Emma Short-E!
I have been scratching since the year 2000, when I discovered I had a love for fr-fr-fresh scratching and funky hip hop.
After much time spent learning techniques and developing my flow (which wasn’t always easy), I now love to break things down for anyone who wants to improve their scratching or who might be struggling with the art.
I founded Studio Scratches in 2008, launched School of Scratch in 2014 and am dedicated to helping YOU become excellent at the art of scratching!
I have a passion for sharing knowledge and encouraging and inspiring others to achieve their dreams.
Frequently Asked Questions
"As a teacher, Short-E has the very rare quality of being both highly proficient as an artist, while also able to break down technique to its most rudimentary core.
Even the most inexperienced novice will find her step-by-step method, clarity and simplified focus very easy to follow.
Yet, amidst her fundamental descriptions one finds a treasure trove of absolutely essential information that would still be of great value to even the most seasoned DJ."
Suckertash - Canada 🇨🇦
Bonus video: Suckertash trading bars with Emma Short-E
"I love scratching and knew that I needed to learn the proper techniques to have direction and be great at it.
I find the lessons in School Of Scratch easy to understand because of the way DJ Short-E breaks down each of the techniques step by step and in a slow manner, so that whatever level you are at you won't get lost. It's a plus that there is a Q&A right after each video that helped me practice the technique that was just taught.
It is also in the school that I learned about "DELIBERATE PRACTICE". It kept me focused on learning! SoS stepped up my cuts to the next level!"
DJ Arthug - Philippines 🇵🇭
Bonus video: DJ Arthug scratching it up with Emma Short-E in Manila:
"Emma's videos manage to be crystal clear, yet all the detail is there.
Whenever I watch any of her videos, I'm left in no doubt about what I need to do or work on to get the technique down.
When I joined School Of Scratch, I thought I knew only a few basic techniques, I had a very wild style mainly due to my lack of techniques...
I was kind of able to express myself, but everything was messy and I had no idea about what I was doing or how to repeat my flows!
After a few months in the school, I managed to revise and learn new aspects of the few basic scratches I had and learn a great many other scratches and even combos!
I still have a lot of work left, but now my wildness has been tamed to some degree... My flow is still my own! - but now I know more about what I am doing and I can repeat my efforts, and I am even able to write it down in TTM (and be able to read it!)
It's not only about the scratching videos though. The best thing Emma has shown me, is how to practice!
I love the music theory videos as they show how to apply and create musical aspects like swing syncopation and Triplet timings. - I knew these things before (in music) - but Emma's videos very clearly brought these topics home to me within the language of scratch and now I can apply and create these things out of my own will, not just following off from the music or another DJ's flow."
Dan R aka Danerous Hands - UK 🇬🇧
Bonus video: Dan practicing his Swing Flare: